Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Largemouth vs Smallmouth Bass

A friend of mine sends me this picture of a recent catch.


He had been telling me how he had been catching Large-mouth in a system that had previously never had any; a system I have fished for 30 years.I recall telling him that when the great flood happened 6 years ago all manner of fish spilled into the creek from other systems (i.e  farmers ponds, lakes, other creeks).

It never occurred to me the bruisers I had been catching recently were Largemouth. I wasn't quite sure how to tell the difference. Then, I found this!



If the jaw extends past the eye its a Largemouth, to the center of the eye its a Smallmouth. Imagine my surprise that my home water has fish I always wished were there. When you think about it, fishing can be a communal act and we learn more when we learn and share together. 


No comments:

Post a Comment